It’s hailed as THE exercise amongst men in terms of overall upper body strength.
However, the risk of injuring yourself under the bar is pretty high, especially if you’re performing it like the many ‘bros’ we see in the gym. You know, the guys who wear their hats sideways or backwards, and who have all the gym accessories on to make a fashion statement.
Mark teaches us how to turn our bench press from BRO to PRO.
- Keep your feet off the bench
- Ensure your lats are on and shoulders stabilised
- Pull your hips towards your armpits to create a nice thoracic arch in your back
- Make sure there is full range of motion; the bar should touch your chest in the same place on each rep
- Elbows, forearms and wrists should be in correct alignment
- Focus on pulling your chest up to the bar, rather then allowing the bar to fall down towards your body
- Your body should be kept as tight as possible, including pushing your heels towards the floor